Summer conjures up images of relaxing by the pool and picnics in the park, not sweating in the burning sun caring for your yard. Having a beautiful yard does require work, and a professional maintenance company is the best way to get you in the lounge chair. But, don’t wait till summer to start caring for your yard. Year-round maintenance is the key to a great-looking outside.
Now that summer is here, the following are some basic tips for keeping your lawn in great shape:
1. MUCH MULCH. Cover the soil with mulch to moderate soil temperature, prevent evaporation and runoff and keep soil moist longer between waterings.
2. WATER WISELY. Water deeper, but water less often. Test soil with finger and deep soak only when dry.
3. AUTOMATE. Attach your drip system or sprinklers to automatic timers for consistent, slow and accurate watering.
4. OPT ORGANIC. Increase water-retaining capability by mixing water-absorbing materials (peat moss, leaf mold, compost) into soil.
5. SELF SERVE. Self-watering containers allow you to skip some time in between watering, but check often in the heat of summer.
What about the rest of the year? It’s usually best to let the experts do what they do best. Experienced and knowledgeable irrigation system technicians will ensure that your yard gets the attention and service it needs to stay in tip-top condition throughout the seasons. You can’t wait till the last minute to have a healthy outdoors just like you can’t run a marathon if you haven’t gotten in shape.
In the fall – mow, fertilize and water; in the winter – close water sources, open drain valves, flush lines, de-ice as necessary and set timers to rest; and in the spring – clean up leaves, twigs, weeds and debris and protect from potential late frosts.
So, take a load off, pour that lemonade and call 201-664-8159 for a free consultation by Morris & Bergen County Irrigation, serving residential and commercial irrigation systems throughout New Jersey since 1975.